The National Pest Management Association (N.P.M.A.) estimates there are over 4000 types of wasps in the United States, including common species such as paper wasps, cicada killers, and yellow jackets. While wasps are great for pollination and controlling other pest populations, they may become a nuisance if they nest too close to your property.
An Ogden pest control company can assist in wasp nest removal, saving your family from a trip to the emergency room after getting stung by a swarm of aggravated wasps.
How To Find A Hidden Wasp Nest
Most Ogden residents never realize they have a wasp problem until one of the stinging insects chases them down the porch or yard. Wasps tend to build their nests in hidden sections of your property, often going undetected for months as their colony grows.
Some of the common hideouts where wasps build their nests include:
- Gaps in your wooden deck or exterior fascia
- Below your birdhouse
- Under window sills
- Along house eaves
- Inside utility boxes
- On tree branches near your home
If these nests become established in the areas above, you may see a steady stream of wasps hovering around the nest's entrance. You can find an active hidden wasp colony without much trouble if you know where to look.
What To Do Once You've Found The Wasp Nest
While your first instinct may be to bring down the nest, your first step should be wasp identification. For help with this step you can enlist the help of a professional wasp exterminator in Ogden to identify the different species.
Attempting to remove a nest alone can antagonize the wasps, leading to an attack. Wasps can sting repeatedly and a swarm of multiple wasps can easily land you in an emergency room, especially if you are allergic.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Wasps In Ogden
The most effective way to eliminate wasps from your home is to call wasp control services in Ogden. Wasps are social insects and can attack aggressively in droves if they sense a threat to their colony.
You can leave all the dirty work to an experienced pest exterminator. Experts from Mountain West Pest have high-level access to equipment and personal protective gear to remove the nest from your home without risking any injuries or stings.
Natural Wasp Deterrents For Ogden Residents
Fortunately, there are steps you can take to keep wasps from building a nest near your home in the first place. To minimize the risk of wasps on your property, try the following tips:
- Spray essential oil blends. Strongly scented essential oils can drive wasps away from your home. You can mix cloves, geranium, lemongrass, rosemary, and peppermint oils and spray them onto your clothes as your head outside. You can also add droplets of liquid soap before dousing outdoor fixtures.
- Hang a fake nest outside. A more creative way of preventing wasps from your property is to buy or make a decoy nest. Wasps are territorial and won't visit or build a colony near an enemy's nest. A fake nest can trick wasps into thinking there's a rival colony present in your yard.
- Use wasp-deterring herbs and plants. Wasps have a good sense of smell, and dislike strong fragrances from particular plants. Growing herbs such as spearmint, thyme, or lemongrass in your garden can help deter wasps from your home.
Still, the best way to get rid of wasps in Ogden is to hire a pest control company. Mountain West Pest can deal with your wasp nests safely and effectively. Contact us today to learn more about our nest removal services in Ogden.