Tips To Help Get You Through Mosquito Season In Ogden
May 07, 2022
The warm weather means one thing for Ogden residents- mosquito season is here. These pesky pests can be challenging to get rid of and often cause itchy red welts on your skin. Mosquitoes are responsible for the deaths of millions of people across the globe each year, so it's essential to take steps to find ways to kill mosquitoes. To accomplish this, call up the best Ogden pest control firm. They'll handle the problem and help you get through your mosquito season with ease.
When Does Mosquito Season Start?
Mosquito season typically starts in April and lasts until September, with peak mosquito activity occurring in mid-July. They'll be out at their peak during the hottest months of summer when temperatures reach 90 degrees Fahrenheit or higher.
Mosquitoes prefer warm climates as they can't reproduce in cold weather conditions that would otherwise kill them. In addition, mosquitoes will also be out in force when rain is present, as this creates ideal breeding grounds for them due to standing water pools left by rainfall.
Some of the widespread mosquito species in Ogden include:
- Culex Tarsalis: This species is the most common in Ogden and can be found anywhere from backyards to parks. They're black with a white-banded abdomen.
- Aedes Aegypti: This species has been found to carry the Zika virus, which can lead to congenital disabilities in babies born from women who were infected while pregnant. They're black with yellow-white stripes on their bodies and legs that are too long, so they stick out when flying or resting.
- Culex Tarsalis: This species can be found anywhere from backyards to parks. They're black with a white-banded abdomen, and their bite will leave behind itchy red welts on your skin that last for up to three days after being bitten.
If you want to get rid of mosquitoes, contact a professional pest control company. They have the best ways to kill mosquitoes before they become a problem.
Some People Attract Mosquitoes More Than Others
Some people attract mosquitoes more than others. Female mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide emitted by humans and animals when they breathe out into the air around them.
If you want to reduce your chances of getting bitten by a mosquito or other insect, try wearing long-sleeved shirts and pants that cover as much skin as possible. In addition, using insect repellent will help keep the mosquitoes away.
Similarly, certain scents and fragrances can also attract mosquitoes so, if you're searching for ways to repel mosquitoes, try and avoid using certain scented lotions, perfumes, or hairsprays.
What Mosquitoes Look For In Your Yard
Mosquitoes look for places to lay their eggs in standing water that's stagnant and undisturbed. One of the best natural ways to get rid of mosquitoes is by removing any potential breeding grounds around your home, including:
- Birdbaths or other containers with water inside of them
- Leaky faucets or other sources that may produce puddles on patios, decks, sidewalks, or driveways
- Old tires, cans, or other items that can collect water
- Grass clippings, leaves, and other organic matter can decompose into standing water
When coupled with the best plants to keep mosquitoes away, draining and getting rid of any standing water in your yard will help reduce the mosquito population around your home. If you want to learn more on ways to repel mosquitoes, contact a professional pest control company to help you get rid of mosquitoes for good.
Professional Mosquito Control Is Worth It
Reputable mosquito pest control firms use natural ways to get rid of mosquitoes. This includes growing the best plants to keep mosquitoes away and removing any potential breeding grounds around your home. If you require assistance, contact Mountain West Pest in Ogden. We're here to help ensure that mosquitoes don't become a problem for you this summer.