Ogden Homeowner's Complete Guide To Effective Mosquito Control
August 21, 2022
Mosquitoes in Ogden can be a tremendous nuisance and a dangerous pest. A hungry swarm of biting mosquitoes can quickly ruin an outdoor gathering of friends and family. Not only are these pests extremely irritating, but they are well known for the dangerous diseases that they spread.
Taking back your yard from a mosquito infestation is not an easy task. Contacting your local Ogden pest control company is your best bet for complete mosquito control. Mountain West Pest Control is a locally owned and operated business dedicated to keeping you and your family safe from mosquitoes and other pests.
What Are Mosquitoes?
Mosquito is actually Spanish for "little fly." They are in the Diptera family of flying insects. Mosquitoes are six-legged, flying parasitic insects that require the blood of warm-blooded animals to reproduce. They are ¼ to 3/8 inches long, with two wings, long legs, and iridescent scales.
There are over 3000 different species of mosquitoes, but only a couple of those species bite humans. Female mosquitoes are the only ones that bite as they need the iron and protein from the blood of their hosts to create and lay their eggs. Male mosquitoes are pollinating insects that thrive mainly on the nectar of flowers and plant juices.
The Dangerous Diseases Mosquitoes Are Known To Spread
Every year, hundreds of thousands of people die because of mosquito bites. Malaria is responsible for the majority of those casualties. But here in the United States, the more common diseases are West Nile Virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, and Dengue Fever.
Mosquitoes spread these diseases by sharing fluid from host to host through their saliva. Here's what you should know about each:
- West Nile Virus: You may experience muscle aches, headaches, and fever. A skin rash and a loss of appetite can also appear several days later.
- Eastern Equine Encephalitis: The symptoms are like those of the flu and include feverish chills and aches. Severe cases may affect the brain and lead to vomiting and convulsions.
- Dengue Fever: This illness causes an elevated fever and joint, bone, and muscle aches. Severe cases can bring on abdominal pain, vomiting, and breathing difficulties.
If you experience any of these symptoms, you must seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Five Easy Yet Effective Mosquito Prevention Tips
Your property may have certain "magnets" you're not aware of that draw mosquitoes to your yard.
These helpful tips can go a long way toward preventing mosquitoes from becoming a problem:
- Eliminate standing pools of water on your property.
- Incorporate plants that repel mosquitoes like citronella, catnip, and lavender into your landscaping theme.
- Keep your lawn mowed and trim trees and bushes regularly.
- Burn essential oils for mosquitoes or candles that ward them off.
- Clean out birdbaths on a weekly basis, and keep gutters and downspouts clear.
These tips are no guarantee that your yard will be mosquito-free. The best way to keep mosquitoes away is to contact your local pest control outfit for complete mosquito control.
The Most Effective Mosquito Control For Ogden Homes
Getting rid of mosquitoes can be an exasperating job as a do-it-yourself project. This is one of those jobs that is best left to professionals. Mountain West Pest Control has highly trained, certified technicians that have the experience and knowledge of safe and effective pest control. It's time to enjoy your yard again without swatting away mosquitoes. Learn about our home pest control and commercial pest control treatment and prevention plans to keep you, your family, and your pets from being bothered by irritating and dangerous mosquitoes. Call us to get started.